Tuesday, July 29, 2008

America's Favorite Past-Time

Last night we went to a Rangers baseball game with Russ's brother Jared and his wife Christy who are in town this week house hunting. Its been fun to spend some time with them. We are so excited they are moving here in a couple months! So....while I think those baseball games are fun...I wonder how baseball earned the title of America's "favorite" past-time. Its a pretty slow, uneventful sport for the most part. I usually find myself bored and analyzing how many more outs we need to end the game, through at least a portion of it.
So is it that we are able to eat popcorn, hot dogs, cotton candy, and other bad food and not feel guilty? Or is it really the peanuts and crackerjacks?

I personally love the beloved song that is sung in the 7th inning, "Take Me Out to the Ball Game," and in our case, the song in the 5th inning, "Deep in the Heart of Texas", which the fans seem to get into maybe even a little bit more. (and we feel proud to say that Mckenzie just about knows all the words to both those songs) :)

But the best part has got to be the part when "the wave" goes around and around the stadium. I started contemplating "the wave" while watching it through Kenzie's eyes. Her look of confusion and excitement made me laugh. Why is it such a thrill to stand up and wave your arms and scream like an idiot over and over again?? We all know its silly, yet a part of us gets a little excited about it everytime.




I am not sure what it is that keeps us going back again and again...in my case most credit is due to my sports finatic husband who loves EVERY sport. But I do admit to being excited to go and having fun, counting the outs left for the game to end and wishing that we could leave early, and feeling a little disappointed at another loss at the end of the game, and then discussing when we would go next.

10 comments:

J Fo said...

I feel the same way about baseball. It's so slow! The only time I can get into it is if I know someone who is playing. But those are great outings as a family and I'm sure Kenzie loves it!

Paul or Lindsay said...

I'm with you here. I'm lucky that Paul doesn't like hockey, nascar, or soccer. Otherwise, I would NEVER get a break from sports. It helps me to invite another couple to come with us. That way, I can gab with the wife whilst our husbands enjoy the game. (P.S. How did potty training go for you? I am in the middle of it right now. I may need a pep talk so I don't reach for the diapers any time soon!! Argh!! P.P.S. When are you going to be in Utah? Let's get together.)

The Larson's said...

So fun! Looks like you have had a lot of fun while I have been gone! Glad to get back to our morning jog! I hope you new place is treating you well :)! See you tomorrow!

Kelli Proctor said...

you are such as cute writer! That is so cool his sister is moving by you guys, is that the same one who lived here next to you guys!? How nice! I have to say we took our boys plus 2 of their friends to a baseball game last week too, and it was everything but uneventful (you will have to check it out on our blog!) It was totally eventful and crazy! Crazy times with lots of boys! But I love it!

Josh said...

I think it's wonderful that Kenzie knows all the words to "deep in the heart of texas." Only a few years old and already has the famous texas pride. And yes, it is the peanuts and crackerjacks that make baseball so beloved.

Anonymous said...

Baseball really is pretty boring. Although I mostly go to chat with the people we go with. That's always a good time. As long as we don't go with a bunch of weirdies :)

Kirsti said...

Baceball is slow, we just got back from a yankee's game. But I think that t-ball is worse...boring!(and it was my kid) I think I go to sporting events for the people watching. Nice that you'll have more family close by. Hopefully maybe one day we willl move there...I love Texas!!

WhitParks said...

That whole thing just made me laugh. We think the SAME thing about baseball games. The highlight for me...the food for sure!

Rusty and Tara said...

I can't believe that McKenzie will sit through an entire baseball game. That is some dedication!

The Sillito Family said...

Glad to know I don't have to feel guilty the next time I go to a Ranger's game and start counting down the innings. I actually always look forward to it, and the next morning rave about how much fun it was. But you're right... in the midst of it (especially with toddlers!) I'm usually looking forward to that 9th inning!