Friday, January 30, 2009

Exhausted by "WHY?"

This week I am feeling a little exhausted. No, not by the mega posting I've been doing, but by my daughter's simple curiosity. She wants to know WHY everything happens. I'm sure many other parents can relate to this as well. Shows and movies are usually a given 20 questions. (we just had to give up on Alice and Wonderland and put that one away for a while--WAY to many questions) :) And when we go anywhere in the car, the questions are innumerable. Its a good thing I think, I am glad that she is curious about the world around her...but man...sometimes its tough to come up with answers to all the questions! Here is a typical conversation...one that we had last night as we were driving to Russ's basketball game at his school.

Kenzie: Mom, why are all these cars going to dad's basketball game?
Me: They're not, they're actually all going different places.
Kenzie: Why are they all driving the same way like us?
Me: Maybe this is the way they go to get home, or maybe this is the way they have to drive to the store.
Kenzie: Ya..they're going to the store. Not dad's game. Why are they going to the store?
Me: uh...I don't know. Maybe they need milk.
Kenzie: And then they are going home? Not to dad's game. But why? Don't they need bread too?
Me: ummmm...I really don't know what they need. Maybe bread too.
Kenzie: Do they want to watch dad play basketball too?
Me: probably not. They don't really know dad.
Kenzie: Why?
Me: Uhhhhhh....because we don't know everyone.
Kenzie: Why?
Me: Because there are lots of people in the world, but we don't know everyone. We just know our friends. Do you like your friends? (looking for a subject change)
Kenzie: Ya -Are my friends coming to dads game?
Me: no
Kenzie: Why?

As you can see the questions go on and on and on. Like I said I am glad to know that she's curious and thinking about the things around her, but at times I just want to say SHHHH....no more talking. (as if that would even be possible for her..she's very verbal).
So if any of you have any tips on getting through the "why's" let me know. The best thing I have found so far is to sing a song instead since her next favorite thing is singing. But then that goes on forever too.....and the volume usually elevates. :) I'm not sure which is better.

14 comments:

Bryt, Liz (Ed), and Ellie Christensen said...

Ellie has gone through the why stage too-it is hard to come up with answers...=) So I think I saw your mother in law on the news this morning singing (grannies singing to go to the grammies)? I only saw it for a second but she looked a lot like carol. They said she was going on a mormon mission March 23 to denmark. So just wondering was that her? Or am I just crazy?

Anonymous said...

Oh Crap...I am NOT looking forward to this. I enjoy the jabber that doesn't make sense and I don't really have to respond to. Good luck!

The Greenwoods said...

oh man we are going throught this stage as well!!!

The Cooking Schaack said...

Oh my gosh!! I was laughing so hard. Good job at putting this into words. So Perfect!!! Oh yeah and Alice and Wonderland is a killer one to try to explain :] I still ask myself WHY on everything in that movie. This made my day .

The Loveridge Family said...

McKenzie is so cute! I love your conversation! I couldn't stop laughing. Kids are great!

Eli said...

Ok, I don't have any advise, but it was really funny and I can totally see her doing that. HAHA. Just think, in 10 maybe 20 years, you can look back and laugh at this. hehe :)

Tara said...

I am laughing so hard right now. Josh does the same thing and I think there is no way around it--just patience!
Or sometimes I just make up really random things and use a lot of big words--sometimes that makes Josh stop.

Hiatts said...

I love this stage in how curious they are. It can get very frustrating at the same time. love the conversation you had with her.

Ryan and Adrienne said...

Quite frankly I wish I new. Hayden has been in the Why stage for quite awhile and it has just gotten worse. I have learned that I just have to keep answering his questions and then one day he understands what we have been telling him so he drops those questions and starts on something new.

Justin and Melissa said...

Sounds fun, it cracks me up how curious kids are. Sounds like all things are good and the holidays were great. Hope you are feeling well with the pregnancy and all is going well.

Kimberly said...

Hi Megan and Russ! This is Kim Bishop (Anderson now) From high school. I found your blog on Sarah Loveridge's blog. Your family is so cute and congrats on the news of your second baby! Girls are a lot of fun. I know that my daughter would love a sister. It is so good to keep in touch with old friends and see what they are up to. I loved this post about the questions!:) My daughter is now almost six and she is still asking questions about how everything works and why people do the things that they do! I love it, and also understand that at times it is exhausting! Hope you are all doing well.
Kimberly

The Larson's said...

Thank you for making me laugh today! I needed it after a long day with Bella!! That story was great and I love that she is thinking so much! Too cute!

The Martone Memories said...

I have a really hard time NOT answering the questions they ask. So I feel your pain, I can't just ignore them like some do. It will go on forever because I just keep answering them. Ha, good luck.

WhitParks said...

I just laughed out loud! Super entertaining. Thanks for that today!